A set of Fundamental Duties were added in chapter IV, under Article 51A, of the Indian Constitution under the 42nd Amendment Act in the year 1976. Under this Article it will be the duty of each and every citizen of India:
1) to abide by the Constitution and to respect the National Flag and the National Anthem.
2) to follow the noble ideals which inspired our national struggle movement
3) to protect the sovereignty, integrity and unity of India.
4) to defend the country and to render National services
5) to promote the spirit of common brotherhood
6) to respect and preserve the rich heritage of our culture.
7) to protect and improve the natural environment
8) to develop the scientific temper
9) to safeguard the public property
10) to strive towards excellence in all spheres of life.
The 11th duty was introduced under the 86th Amendment Act in the year 2002. According to this Amendment:
11) it is the prime duty of every parent to provide education to their children.